Have you recently surveyed your home to see what needs some upkeep and maintenance? Are you moving into a new home and want to check on the quality of the garage door? No matter what the scenario, a garage door is often neglected and rarely maintained until it starts showing signs of problems. Most manufacturers will claim the garage door will last 15-30 years. Depending upon the type of door chosen, the spring, and its age, it could break down sooner. It is important to do all that you can to extend the lifespan of the garage door. Here are some things that will help you get started:
- Clean the door. One of the first places to start is by cleaning the garage door. Wash off the dirt and grime that starts to accumulate on the rollers and on the door. Wax can be added to a steel door to help reduce the amount of dirt that collects on the door. A sealant can limit the amount of water that penetrates the door, limiting the risk of rust.
- Lubricate the door. You need to make sure the garage door is always lubricated. The rollers, springs, and hinges can all wear out when it’s used frequently. We have lubrication we give to our customers with repair work to help you keep your door working effectively. WD-40 or graphite spray is a great way to maintain the door and keep those areas properly lubricated.
- Check on the spring and rollers. A great way to keep the garage door in order is to focus on the springs and rollers. Review the door for worn out parts. If you hear a loud clang, or your notice issues with the rollers, chain, hinges, track, and cables, call us immediately. We can send our experts to check on your garage door and find out what is happening with it and what your options are as far ar repair or replacement of the garage door.
- Close the door. Keeping the garage door open all the time means you are increasing the amount of dirt, debris, dust, and other elements that can get into the garage and start causing problems. Wind will blow in the dirt and leaves, which clog the tracks and can cause problems for the motor.
Should I Replace the Garage Door
What should you do about your garage door? If you do not like the way it looks, its time to consider a new door. There are a number of factors to consider such as the price, use of the door, and overall care you are putting into the door. Remember, you will get what you pay for when it comes to working with a garage door. If you opt for the cheapest door on the market, you will get a cheap door that won’t last for 30 years. Some other things to consider when you are debating if its time to replace the garage door include:
- An outdated door. An easy way to give your home a facelift is by updating the door. Warping, cracking, or rusting on a garage door is an easy way to see that its time to replace the door.
- Problems opening and closing the door. If the door keeps having problems opening or closing, you need to replace the door. When the door starts to show too many problems, it can be dangerous as it is a major safety hazard.
- The door is damaged. A damaged door will stop working and is a risk to the safety of your family and your home. Structural damage with a garage door is dangerous and poses hazards now and possibly more in the future.
Contact Advanced Door to discuss your garage door options. We can come out and assess what your door currently is capable of, and what we can do as far as replacing the door.