Garages are great for a variety of reasons, including storage and home projects, but they can also pose as a safety hazard. Proper installation, operation, and maintenance of the garage door and automatic opener are crucial to provide safe and hassle-free operation.We’ve listed a few safety tips for keeping everyone in your home safe.
- Keep the garage door opener control buttons out of reach of small children. The wall push button for your garage door should be places at least five feet above the floor.
- Test your garage door opener’s reversing mechanism monthly. Place either paper towels or toilet paper in the door’s path. If it doesn’t reverse after touching the object, it’s imperative to contact our professionals in order to repair the damage.
- Make sure your children stay away from the garage door when it is opening or closing. Remind them the dangers of playing under or near the garage door.
- Call Advanced Door if the springs or cables on your garage door have suffered any damage. Repairing damages on your own can cause severe injuries.
- If you or a family member has backed into the garage door, consider getting it inspected and repaired by one of our technicians. The operating system may have become misaligned causing dangerous situations and greater wear and tear.
- Keep up with annual maintenance. Because your garage door is most likely the largest and heaviest moving object in your home, it’s necessary to receive a yearly visit from one of our trained technicians to ensure the proper functioning of your garage door.
Damaged garage door systems can cause serious injuries and even death in some cases. Following simple precautions and safety guidelines will keep you and your family out of harm’s way. Call Advanced Door today to learn more tips for garage door safety at (801) 430-9021.