With how important your garage door springs are, the last thing you want is to run into garage door spring issues. Unfortunately, everything has problems eventually, and some garage door spring issues are ones you’ll more likely than not run into during your lifetime. It’s important to be aware of the warning signs that your springs are having problems, given the fact that they’re responsible for balancing your garage door and enabling it to be lifted with ease.
Here is what you need to know about how to tell if you have garage door spring issues, common issues with your springs, and what to do in the event that your springs are having problems.
Signs You Have Garage Door Spring Issues
It’s generally recommended that you check your garage door springs every month for potential signs that they’re not operating properly. You can visually check your garage door springs for problems, as well as listen.
Here are some of the signs to watch out for.
- Your garage won’t open. If your garage door isn’t opening, this could be for a number of reasons, one of which being garage door spring issues. It’s best to call a professional to come out and figure out why your garage door isn’t opening.
- You can’t manually lift your garage door with ease. If your garage door springs are in good condition, then it should be easy to lift your garage door. If it’s hard to lift or it won’t stay up, this can be a sign you have problems with your springs.
- Your garage door won’t open all the way. This is another garage door issue that could be because of several reasons. Chances are, if it won’t stay open, you have a spring problem on your hands.
- Your garage door slams down. Your garage door springs keep your door from slamming down, so if your garage door is slamming down, this means your springs are malfunctioning.
- They look different. Your springs are as susceptible to wear and tear and rust as other parts of your home. If your springs look different, this can be an indication of a growing issue. Caught early enough, you can prevent it from escalating into a major problem.
Common Garage Door Spring Issues
Now that we’re gone over some of the ways you can tell if you have garage door spring issues, let’s get into some of the issues themselves. Here at Advanced Door, we often fix garage door springs. Here are some of the most common issues we see.
Broken Torsion Springs
Torsion springs are the ones that are mounted right over your closed garage door. It’s usually one of the first parts of your garage door system to break. Chances are, if your garage door sounds like a firecracker, your torsion springs broke. If they’re not staying open, then your springs aren’t providing enough tension. If they do open, but stop part way, you’ve more likely than not got a broken spring on your hands.
While some noise is expected when operating your garage door, if your doors are squeaky, this could be because of a garage door spring problem. While noisy doors don’t always indicate spring problems, they can. In some cases, all you need to do is apply lubricant and garage door spring oil in order to fix the issue. In others, it will require more intense, professional help.
Extension springs go above the tracks on both sides of your garage door. These have cables, which help with spring control. If they snap or get loose, there’s nothing to control your springs. You’ll notice this when your garage doors aren’t functioning properly.
Your garage door should go up and down with ease. If it’s being very slow, your springs probably aren’t providing enough tension in order for it to be effective. This could be because of wear and tear or because they need adjustment.
What To Do When You Have Garage Door Spring Issues
If you have problems with your garage door springs, these are best left to the professionals. It’s incredibly dangerous to try to do any sort of spring repair yourself. Garage door professionals have the training, experience, and equipment to be able to fix garage door spring problems properly and safely. Are your garage door springs not working properly? It’s time to call the experts to come out and fix them for you.
Do You Have Garage Door Spring Issues?
Advanced Door offers professional garage door repair services. If you’re having trouble with your springs, we can help! Contact us today for any questions or to schedule your garage door spring repair.